Say no to honey and mushrooms!

Updated: Sep 23, 2020


According to the most recent guidelines, there are few foods that should be avoided during weaning. Among these, we find honey and mushrooms. But for what reason? No to honey before 12 months. Although it is a natural food with many beneficial properties, it should be avoided in small children. And not only due to the high sugar content, but the risk is also much more serious. Infant botulism. The bees collecting and transporting nectar can capture the spores of “Clostridium Botulinum”. These spores in favorable conditions release a very dangerous toxin that has neurological effects on the child's body. Botulism is, in fact, a serious pathology and the main symptoms are breathing difficulties, difficulty moving and sucking, profuse salivation, intestinal disorders, drowsiness, difficulty in eating and weak crying. So no to grandma's advice to dip the pacifier in honey to reassure the baby! Less well known are the damage that can result from mushrooms, which should not be taken by children under the age of 12. Not even occasionally. In fact, the child does not yet have the enzymatic structure necessary for their digestion and even edible mushrooms can be dangerous. It can lead to real intoxication with abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea which, in the most serious cases, require hospitalization and special therapies. They are foods with little nutritional advantage, i.e. they can be easily replaced with safer foods that provide the same nutrients. To all this we must obviously add the potential risks of poisoning and bacterial contamination, the symptoms of which in the child could be more serious given the low body weight.





#honey #mushrooms

43 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All